A Look Back on "Nobody's Perfect"

Happy Saturday!
SO! Like I told you: a retrospective commentary on my third sermon from a perspective of 3.5 years in the future. Basically I'll be quoting large sections of my blog and replying to them in bold and underlined lettering. I hope you enjoy!

I know this is a really fluffy blog post, but y'know finals.
And I know that's a bad excuse, but it's not as if this is my last blog post ever.
Okay?
Okay.
Here we go:

“Nobody’s Perfect”
(But You’re Enough)
The third Sermon of Jamal Davis Neal, Jr. 

"Jane did a fantastic job with her sermon “You’re Enough” Don’t you think? And she’s only in 7th grade! It takes so much courage to stand up here and share a story, especially your own. I think she deserves a round of applause."
It was actually such a coincidence that Jane and I did this; it was crazy! I texted her the idea that I had had and she told me that she has the same idea and told our assistant minister that morning! I'm glad we got to do this together three years ago. 

"So. Let’s switch gears now. This is the third sermon I’ve written. My first was in 6th grade and I shared it with the Youth Group. It was about bullying and how I dealt with bullies back then. (Now that I read it, I was so much less mature than I am now. I honestly believed I was from a different planet and my name was Zoran Hewquirty Ocanasious the third.)"
I wasn't exactly mature around the time that I wrote this either, so that part is extremely funny. 

"The second sermon I’ve shared was here in the church on Youth and Children’s Sunday last year. It was also Father’s Day, so I preached a testimony about my dad and how I struggled with his passing 6 months before. I was ending eighth grade then."
Last night, I wrote my third sermon in the same notebook as my second one, and today I will share it with you, 74 hours before I finish my freshman year of High School.
Today, my sermon is about the imperfections of humanity and my own spiritual journey with God. Throughout my sermon you will see the recurring theme “You’re Enough” The similar theme between mine and Jane’s sermons are crazy uncanny. I promise you it was by pure coincidence that Jane and I both thought to let you know how important this congregation is to our walks with the Lord.
Your bulletin today should say “Nobody’s Perfect” and just that, but I invite you to write in, next to or below it, “, but you’re enough.” You’ll understand why later. (Or maybe you already understand why from Jane’s sermon.)
Anyways, I should probably start my real sermon now.
In the 1996 Edition of the Webster’s Dictionary, the word “perfect” is defined as “having no defect or fault; flawless, accurate, absolute.” The word “imperfect” is defined as “not perfect.”
In my fourteen and a half years of life, I have never, ever met a perfect person. Everyone has a flaw, nobody is perfect."
Yes, I know it's super corny to start off my main statement with a dictionary definition, but I thought it was appropriate at the time. 
Also, interesting fact, about half a year after giving this sermon I started calling myself perfect. My sophomore year wasn't my favorite year of high school, and a lot of  people thought I started doing it as a vanity thing, but it first started as a joke, and then flourished into something that really, positively boosted by self-esteem. I started telling people to do the same because I believed that everyone is a perfected version of themselves, especially if they continue to strive who they truly are in this hectic world. 

"The same goes for the “holiest” of people in the Bible. (I’m just going to name a few for an example.) Here goes a list of imperfect, normal human beings that God has chosen to spread His Word through. People who have told him, “No, my Lord, I am not perfect enough,” whom God said “Yes, but you are enough.” Here we go:
Moses was a doubter who had a stutter and probably a lisp too, but that didn’t stop God from setting a bush aflame and telling him to get the Israelites out of the Egyptian Land. Moses will forever be my hero that I look up to. My role model, but not my idol, because you know, Moses doesn’t like that sort of thing. ;D That’s why, when I was 5, I wanted more than anything to begin my acting career at this church, as a portrayal of him in Moses and the Freedom Fanatics."
Nobody laughed at my joke here so I'm going to explain it. One time, the Israelites made a giant golden cow which they worshiped.
When Moses came down from a mountain with the ten commandments, one saying
not to have an idol before God, he was super angry and broke the original stone tablets
that the commandments were written on; hence Moses not liking idols.

Gideon had low self-esteem and low social status, but that didn’t stop God from telling him to lead an army of 300 against the numerous enemies of the Israelites.
Samuel, Jeremiah, and Mary were the same age as I am, if not just slightly older. Samuel thought he was hearing things, Jeremiah believed he was too young and therefore could not speak the word of God to others, and the amount of ridicule, harassment, and ostracizing that Mary received was probably astronomical when she suddenly became impregnated by someone that was not her husband, Joseph.
Isaiah had an unclean mouth.
And all of Jesus’ disciples were the lowest of the low in social status.
Simon Peter even denied Jesus three times, but he still became the first Pope of the Church, and the inheritor of the keys to the Kingdom of God.
None of these historical people were perfect, but God believed they were enough for Him. He used them to proclaim his Word. I want you to remember though; those were only a few examples of imperfect people being enough for God, the Almighty King.
Which brings me to the other part of my sermon today;
My name is Jamal Davis Neal, Jr. I was born on December 2nd 1997 and have been a part of this church for fourteen years. Around this time last year, I felt a calling. I’ll tell you what the calling was later.
I don’t remember when I first attended this church fourteen years ago, but I remember meeting Stacy and confusing her with Sarah Haseltine when I was younger. Sarah was my kooky daycare-preschool teacher that attended this church a while ago. I love her so much.
I also remember meeting some really great friends and I owe all of those friendships to this Church.
Along with that, I owe my musical and theatrical talents to the Church and Robin Crandall, who helped kindle my love for music. When I was 4 or 5 years old, my grandma took me downstairs one Monday evening, I believe, and encouraged me to take up singing, since I knew how to read already. At first, I was reluctant, but then I found a voice. Later that year, I portrayed Moses in the play Moses and the Freedom Fanatics. A couple of years after that I joined the praise bell choir, and now 7 plays, 6 Mystic Area Ecumenical Council Concerts, and a bell festival later, my musicianship is just flourishing.
That’s the person who I’ve grown up to be in this church. But what about outside of the Church?
In Elementary School, I was an exceptionally bright kid who played cello, later switched to Euphonium, and remained in choir. I had very high ambitions. I loved life, and trusted everything. I was a little spoiled, and a bit of a brat, but I could make anyone smile.
After sixth grade, I attended the New Orleans Mission Trip, and in retrospect, I was an annoying little kid, who learned nothing from being there because I was too lazy and a little too selfish.
The year after that was seventh grade. Musically, one of the most successful years of my life, but academically and emotionally it has tied as my worst year ever. I didn’t like anything or anybody, and I felt betrayed by everybody.
The year after that, my father passed away. Since I was starting to get to know him better, I was completely devastated. I recall being at the Brayman's house, and Mrs. Brayman giving me a really weird look after she was on the phone with someone. My mom came very early to pick me up from the sleepover, and I wouldn’t have been quite as surprised if my phone wasn’t on airplane mode, which rendered me unable to receive voice messages or calls. (It was put on airplane mode so as to not interfere with my computer’s functioning.) I was confused on why she had come so early. Later that day, I cried more than anyone could imagine. When I felt like I was done, I just thought of the situation more and cried harder. I was hurt, lost, and lonely.
Later that day, I remembered that I had on my calendar that I was going to call my dad so I could have another “Hangout with Daddy” Day during Christmas Vacation. On December 29th, 2010 I beat myself up in two ways. The first by asking myself “If I didn’t go over the Brayman’s house, could I have given my daddy the strength to live?” the second by remembering that the last day I saw him was December 25th, Christmas Day. I was too mesmerized in my new laptop. On Christmas I knew I should’ve said “I love you,” instead of “see ya later.” I didn’t though. I don’t know why, and I still feel awful about it. I know he knew I loved him, but still I needed that closure.
Four things have sparked from his passing away.
Number one being the reason why I say “Thank you,” or “I love you,” to a person after the end of every phone call or goodbye. If I were to part from a person and never see them again, I want them to leave this Earth knowing that I’m thankful for them or that I love them.

"The second being my disconnection from material possessions. I feel that I don’t have as much connection to things as other people do. For example, money, or an iPod, or a cell phone."
This didn't last very long. I love my phone and although I get upset when I see greed in the world, I have to admit that I'm also a slave to consumerism and capitalism. 

"Number three being my dislike for someone saying that the hate their family, or treating them with little respect, like I used to do quite recently, and on occasion, regretfully, still do."
It still took me two more years to admit that my mom was my best friend, but I'm really glad that I ended up doing it; I tell everyone at school that she's basically BeyoncĂ©, because c'mon, Velda Williams is queen. 

"The final spark was the way I thought of death. I celebrate the life of a person who has gone away from us, even through tears. When my dad passed, I didn’t want sorries from people, they made me feel overwhelmed.
Eighth grade passed and became the summer that I was hurt by a simple meaningless thing my grandma did. I thought she had left me because she was late too Sunday School, and she didn’t take me to McDonald’s for breakfast like she had promised. I know, it was so stupid of me. I don’t even remember why I was so hurt. I played the song Jar of Hearts more than 121 times in the month of July and left an ugly nasty note over that.
Then this school year came. My first year in high school was the other of my two worst years. I haven’t felt farther from God until now, but throughout the year I’ve had many Epiphanies to assure me that he is still here. I’ve made many mistakes this year. I could have also done better academically.
This year, some family problems went down, and I’ve honestly treated the three people that I love the most like poop. My mommy, “Mom,” and Papa. I blamed them for all that was happening, and I seriously don’t know why. I’ve been selfish, not asking how they felt when all of these things happened. I really wish I realized my selfishness sooner though. Now I hope to fix my selfishness and blot out the red on my ledger.
I will talk to the paternal side of my family, who I’ve been avoiding like the plague since my father passed. I’m scared to see them and let them know how sorry I am. What will they think of me?
I will be more caring.
I will be healthier and more fit this coming year, as I work out and stick to a strict diet for the majority of the summer.
My grades will improve.
I will get close to God on my journey with him though eternity. I won’t let myself drift out as far as this every again. This sermon took a lot more calling out to God than Last Year’s, but this one means so much more."
Some of these things happened and some didn't, but that's okay because I still strive everyday to become a better person. Also the "blot out the red on my ledger" part was also a joke. It was a reference to something Black Widow said in, at that time, the recently released The Avengers.

"Earlier I mentioned my call and certain epiphanies. They have to do with each other. I believed God has called me to become a Minister who specializes with Youth, Missions, and Music to testify my faith to other people. Watching Stacy and Rob preach is a leading factor to me changing from wanting to become a doctor. I hope to Major in Music in Grad School (so I can teach the children how Robin taught me.) I hope to then go to Yale Seminary. Another factor to my call was Emmaus in November. Emmaus, a wonderful opportunity to Youth who want to share their faith with others like them, opened my eyes more for God. Although I felt empty while I was on the Emmaus Leadership Team in March, I will forever be thankful to Liz and Mrs. Brayman for welcoming me into the warm, open, and inviting place called Emmaus."
Okay. So this part is a major part in which I need to explain things. First, I obviously didn't fully know the concepts on how college worked: I said that I would major in music in GRAD SCHOOL AND THEN WOULD GO ONTO SEMINARY. Like, that's not how that works and I wish somebody saved little ol' freshman Jamal some embarrassment by proofreading this. (of course, I didn't let anyone proofread this) Also, as I mention in a later sermon that you'll get to see in 2016, I no longer wish to be a musical minister, as I liked to call it. I want to be a neurosurgeon. 

Emmaus, on the other hand, continued to bless my life for three more years during my high school career, and I had my best and worst moments during high school at an Emmaus meeting and/or weekend and I am so blessed to have it be a part of my life. I'm also glad to have helped out on the weekend following my leave from the program and can't wait to help for three more years during this hiatus. And, if all works out how I want it, come back and touch people's lives through that ministry again. 

Those were only a few examples of how not only Union Baptist Church, but other places as well, have shaped me into the person I am today and have helped me on my faith journey with God. They are my hope, and I love them, and I love you. I love each and every single one of you. You are enough for me, and you’ve been chosen as enough for God.
I conclude our worship time together by giving you a few questions to ask yourself throughout this week. Ready?
How has God been in your life?
How has your journey with God gone and how is it going? And
What are you going to do with what you have learned in your journey with Christ to show others His Magnificent Love?

Like I said, nobody’s perfect, but you are definitely enough for God.
Amen.

Not the greatest post, I know,  but I always like looking back on my past and seeing how I've changed and developed as a person, so I found some joy in posting this, and that's good. I hope the next post is worthwhile for y'all. 

Have a happy and safe Holiday Season and I'll see you back here in two weeks. 

Next Post FOR REALS THIS TIME, I promise: "Ohana & Anchors"
When?: Saturday, December 26th, 2015

Comments

Popular Posts

Forward

Red: Life

Jr.