Needs vs. Wants

Happy Saturday!... not really
Also... Happy President's Day Weekend!

So this post might be a pretty obvious post at first, but I still hope that you'll get a message out of it anyway.

Now I know this message is late and that's mainly because I can never get my shit together in time for past Jamal to be happy with present Jamal. But, you know what? That's okay. This blog is meant to be a comfortable environment for me; a place where I can escape when all the stresses of the world are weighing down on my shoulders.

And sometimes that's 2:30 in the morning after you already missed your personal deadline for a post.

Yeah... that's my life right now.

Just warning you that the style near the end of this post is symbolic.

Anyway. Needs vs. Wants.

What exactly does that mean?
The first time I thought of writing this post, I was actually in a Skype call with one of my anchors... my person, actually, that went from about 4 to 7 in the morning on a Saturday... it wasn't one of the most healthiest things to do for our friendship's growth, but I do think that the conversation was very beneficial for me personally. It encompassed the idea of needing something versus wanting something.

Let me preface this by casting the obvious aside. Everyone knows that there are basic human needs, including social ones, and everyone knows that there are basic human wants that we feel as if we do need.
That's not what I'm here to talk about... I'm not here to state and discuss the obvious. I'm here to discuss what I personally believe

As always.

Anyway.
So.
The people that we may want in our lives aren't the people that we need in our lives.
There's a Grey's Anatomy quote that reminds me of this: "I can live without you, but I don't want to. I don't ever want to." While this is a really obvious thing to say, while it's extremely obvious that you don't need people to be in your lives, that you just want them to be existent on the same level with you, you do need types of people in your life.

There's a better Grey's quote that reminds me of this: "Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever wanna live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it. But every now and then look around. Drink it in. 'Cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow."

The people that you feel this way toward, are the types of people that you need in your life.

You need that tough voice dragging your ego down when you know you've gone too high.
You need that sweet song that makes you and one of your best friend's cry every time you hear it together, even if no one else understands.
You need that person who is willing to stay up until 7 in the morning to calm your feelings and insecurities.
You need that person who just gets you.
You need that person that questions everything you do, only to help you grow more and more.
You need many of these people and more because these are the people that are you, that encompass you, that make you feel home no matter where you are.

The people that you let closest to your heart, the people that care about you the most, your village... these are the types of social interactions that you need. Like I said, some anchors may come and go and some may fade, but it still made you, you. Those experiences still make you who you are and more. Be proud of who you've become because of these people. Be glad of who you will be because of these people.

But always remember...
when you feel empty

when you are alone...


when you're sitting there typing a blog post at nearly 3 in the morning


when you feel as if no one is there for you...








when you feel the most empty or numb...


the people that you need in your life may be unavailable... they might be sleeping or doing something super important.

Know that they would be there if they knew, if you reached out, if they were able to be reached. They would be there for you if you needed them... they wouldn't hesitate to rush by your side.

But you have to let them in in order to do that


You may have to wait to be able to share your feelings with them...

You may have to bear through the monotone just a

little more before they come to help... before they can pull you from the

ocean of doubt or insecurities that you're drowning in and help you


breathe.


They will help you piece                           yourself
 back together... They will pu
t together your fr
agments.





They will always be with you no matter what, the people that you need.











But they can't always be there when you want them to be. 

Next Post: Empty & Numb
When?: Before March 5th, 2016

Comments

Popular Posts

Forward

Red: Life

Jr.